Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Vintage Gold Mine








I stumbled upon The Family Jewels in Chelsea one day on my way to dinner. I had heard about it before, so I was pleasantly surprised to have crossed its path. The window display was so vivid and inviting, I just had to check it out! The shop is very strict about photos,  (since I'm sure it would serve as every teenager's Facebook profile pic dreamland) but the owner was nice enough to let me take a few. There were counters and displays full of costume jewelry that your grandmother would do cartwheels over. I spent about ten minutes just looking at the broaches! The clothing was split up by decade, so depending on your style, you know right where to go. The 1920's and 30's section was gorgeous! It is almost overwhelming to see so many great vintage pieces in one shop, but if you are into vintage clothing, this is your mecca. (Also, the reason why many a stylist frequents this joint.) I was attracted to an 80's body con dress with Picasso-esque eyeballs and lips on it. Sequined, of course! This is definitely a great place to go if you want a piece that is one of a kind. Although you will spend about $150-$250 on a cocktail dress, you will leave with an absolute gem!





The Family Jewels Vintage Clothing
130 W 23rd St., New York, N.Y. 10011
212.633.6020

No comments:

Post a Comment