Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Northeast Kingdom



Oops... No Tuesdee Boozedee yesterday. Carina's been out of town and I've been dogsitting the cute little dude pictured above, so I haven't had much time for drinking.
That's a lie. I've been in all the dive bars close to my heart, but nothing quite Boozedee worthy. Instead, I'll be reviewing a restaurant in my hood - Northeast Kingdom.

In addition to an impressive beer menu (including Six Point, Hitachino, Allagash White, just to name a few of my favorites...), Northeast Kingdom also has a small cocktail menu. I would suggest "The Old Bushwick" (bourbon, ginger ale, lime, bitters) or the "Spicy Ginger" (ginger cognac, mint, lemon, cayenne pepper, soda).

Although it's definitely refreshing to see a restaurant serving adventurous dishes like pig's head terrine in Bushwick, I would suggest sticking to more classic dishes here. The black bean burger with avocado and arugula was absolutely delicious and anyone who knows my hardcore carnivore ways would be surprised to hear this... though I did order a side of duck fat tater tots. The only downside of the "burger" is the consistency... it fell apart much too easily. The tater tots were good, but didn't feature the richness I expect from duck fat.

We also ordered duck breast with a fried egg and asparagus, not necessarily an adventurous dish, but it still fell a little flat. The egg was overcooked and gummy, the duck dry and chewy.

Overall, both a hit and a miss...
hit: daily specials, veggie burger, service, atmosphere, drink menu, being non-bushwick
miss: noticeable lack of duck fat in dishes where i expected duck fat

Though I wasn't completely impressed, I will definitely be returning to Northeast Kingdom to try the following dishes:

Chopped chicken liver, caramelized onion, bacon, sesame toast
Seafood Chowder, potato, leek, bacon, house made oyster crackers
Pineland Farm short rib borscht, beet, carrot, cabbage, horseradish cream


northeast kingdom interior, courtesy of yelp

Northeast Kingdom
18 Wyckoff Ave
(between Jefferson St & Starr St)
Brooklyn, NY 11237
Neighborhood: Bushwick
(718) 386-3864

No comments:

Post a Comment