Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesdee Boozedee: Angels' Share

I love a good secret bar, even though a good secret doesn't tend to stay secret very long. Angels' Share places at the top of my list of "secret" NYC bars, which is why I'm reviewing it first! If you haven't been there yet, it's a must visit, though I suggest going there on a weekday as there can be a wait.

Let's start with entry: on that strange triangle in the east village where 3rd ave, 9th st and stuyvesant converge, you'll see a sign over some stairs reading "Village Yokocho". Up the stairs you'll see a normal Japanese restaurant. To your left, an unmarked wooden door. Go ahead, saunter in! You'll find yourself in an incredibly well decorated bar (see pic above).

The staff at Angels' Share is attentive and professional, the bartenders talented and the drink menu (or should I say book?) extremely complex. Don't come here if you want a casual beer. I'm not usually a cocktail drinker, but trust me, the ones here are something to write home about (if you're writing home to classy drunks). We had 3 cocktails: an aromatic spiced apple, a bitter green tea cocktail and a creamy dessert drink. In my opinion, the green tea cocktail was the best choice.

Let me put it this way: I'd be impressed if someone took me here on a date! Here's a little tidbit so you can impress your next date: the term "Angels' Share" refers to the alcohol that is evaporated during distilling... guess those angels like to party too, huh?

Angels' Share (no website)
Village Yokocho
8 Stuyvesant St

New York, NY 10003
Neighborhood: East Village
(212) 777-5415


No comments:

Post a Comment