Thursday, March 3, 2011

How to get in shape without going broke

Before I start this review, let me tell you a little about my workout habits. I've never belonged to a gym. I get winded going up the stairs. I have nice yoga pants but I wear them to watch TV and eat chinese food (they're so stretchy!). BUT I'm actually trying to turn things around in a DIY, wallet friendly way.

STEP 1: I need sneakers!!



The Nike Free TR Fits cost $85, which I must admit, made me wince a little at first. (I could buy these for less than that!) But I decided to pony up after reading the great reviews. I even asked a friend of mine who is a personal trainer what he thought of these and guess what! He was wearing the mens' version. These babies are seriously versatile- good for all sorts of exercise, comfy and super lightweight. You'll feel as though you're not wearing shoes at all, without the unfortunate side effect of wearing those nasty toe shoes.

STEP 2: Apps, apps, apps

And no, I don't mean appetizers. I started out with two iPhone apps (available on iPod touch, too) that I've heard some buzz about.

photo
Walk N Play
Cost: Free!
What it is: Smart pedometer-like app, tracks how many calories you burn from walking and compares with your friends / world average.
Pros:
Has different settings for where you keep your iPhone - handbag, jacket pocket, pants pocket, etc and can adjust readings accordingly.
Lets you set your own goals.
Fun competitive aspect.
Able to sync with Twitter... if you want to share that kind of thing...
Cons:
App must be running for it to track calories, so it doesn't work well for those like me, who often talk, text and email while walking.
Easy to forget to use.
Doesn't do much in the way of encouraging extra activity, mostly just lets you know how much you're already doing.
Rating:
5 out of 10.

photo2
Nike Training Club
Cost: Free!
What it is: This is really the complete package. A portable package of workouts that you can do anywhere for weight loss, toning, muscle building, etc.
Pros:
Text instructions AND videos on how to do every move.
Workouts come in different lengths and difficulty levels.
Exercises you can easily do at home, at the park, anywhere.
Lets you choose an album or playlist from your iPhone/iPod.
Records your progress and gives you rewards.
Cons:
I found even the beginner level cardio workout to be taxing.
The shortest workouts are 30 minutes... I couldn't make it through a whole one!
Having to hold the iPhone/Pod while working out is kind of awkward.
Rating:
9 out of 10

Step 3: Watch for deals!

I think we all know that the easiest (and most expensive) way to get in shape is by using a gym and going to classes. If you're like me and can't afford that kind of commitment, do what I do! Sign up for emails from Groupon, LivingSocial, BuyWithMe and LifeBookerLoot. All of these sites offer fantastic deals on gym trials (usually 1-2 months) and classes including yoga, pilates, kickboxing, krav maga, interval training and more.

Now that I've got my first 3 steps down, I'll be continuing on the quest to whip myself into shape the economical way! Have any tips for me or any apps you'd like me to review? Leave a comment here or email them to us at anywednesdayblog@gmail.com


4 comments:

  1. wow i like this... and also need to get in shape. i think i'll download the nike app and try it out! biggest loser, mukai edition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smell sibling rivalry! Good luck exercising around that baby house and inflatable donkey... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would BUT I don't have an iPhone.. guess that will be my excuse not to workout this week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. pokemon master blaster hahahhahaklfdjvcm

    ReplyDelete