Monday, May 2, 2011

Soba-ya!


the perfect agedashi tofu

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this place before, seeing as it's my favorite japanese restaurant in NYC- and YES i am aware of what a gigantic claim that is. To me, this place is the epitome of comfort food. Some of the foods I crave from childhood aren't available in NYC's japanese food scene... Humble dishes like zaru soba and inari often get overlooked. This is a fantastic place and I always take my family here when they're in town-- it's reasonably priced and not as fussy as some of our other favorites like yakitori totto.

MUST EATS:
Bara chirashi
Agedashi tofu
Inari

BEST SOBAS: (udon is available too!)
Kamo namban (duck and green onion)
Sakuraebi kakiage (tiny shrimp & mitsuba leaf tempura)
Zaru soba (cold buckwheat noodle with nori)

just for funsies, here are some extra pictures:

bara chirashi

my amazing niece at soba-ya, already using chopsticks!!

and pouring beer. i love her. 

Soba-Ya
229 E 9th St
(between 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave)
New York, NY 10003
(212) 533-6966

xx
mukai

2 comments:

  1. love this place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. this is definitely my favorite post of all time. because you've taken me to that place (and my lil one, as pictured) and the food is unreal. and you've immortalized my baby pouring me a sapporo.

    ReplyDelete